Wild Rice and Quinoa Salad
This hearty, filling salad has a nice mix of textures thanks to the chewy grains, crunchy raw vegetables, and soft-cooked vegetables. The vinaigrette and dried golden berries add a sweet-sour tang. You can chill this salad for an hour or two to let the flavors blend, but I typically serve it right away.
BENEFITS Whole grains like brown rice, wild rice, and quinoa provide fiber, which keeps you feeling full to help you lose weight. Quinoa and wild rice are good sources of Omega-3s, which keep your skin looking fresh and youthful. Golden berries and red bell peppers contain both the immune-boosting vitamins A and C.
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup diced cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup kale strips
1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1/4 cup dried golden berries
Salt or salt substitute and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
2-3 Tbs. honey or agave syrup
2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs. flaxseed (or grapeseed) oil
1 tsp. sea salt
Dash of white pepper
1. In a bowl, combine the wild and brown rice in enough water to cover and soak for 1 hour.
2. Cook the quinoa accoroding to package directions (they vary by brand) and cool.
3. In a large pan of salted water, boil the rices over high heat for about 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in a colander with cold water.
4. Make the dressing: Mix the dressing ingredients in a glass bowl.
5. Toss the cooked rice and quinoa with the dressing. Chill in the refrigerator.
6. Make the vegetables: Heat a saute pan and add the olive oil. cook the mushrooms and onions over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Add the kale and cook for 1 minute or until wilted. Chill in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes or until cool.
7. To assemble: Combine the rice, vegetables, remaining raw vegetables, parsley, and golden berries and toss until the mixture is uniform. Add seasoning as desired.