Struggling to get dinner on the table every night? Shortcuts are 100 percent acceptable! These burritos use frozen chicken nuggets for protein and kid-friendly flavor. Because all of the ingredients can be prepared ahead of time, you can assemble these on time-strapped evenings and have dinner on the table in under 20 minutes. That’s a win!
Easy Chicken Nugget Burritos
8 oz frozen chicken nuggets (TRY: Applegate Organic Chicken Nuggets)
6 (8-inch) whole-grain tortillas
1 cup baby spinach
1½ cups cooked brown rice
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
¼ tsp. ground cumin, or to taste
¼ tsp. chili powder, or to taste
½ cup bottled salsa
1 -2 avocados, diced (optional)
Toppings: Additional salsa, sour cream, fresh cilantro leaves
- Prepare chicken nuggets according to package directions. Remove from oven; leave oven on. Chop nuggets into pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and coat lightly with cooking spray. Have a small bowl of water ready.
- Place a tortilla on a paper towel. Top with a few spinach leaves, ¼ cup rice, 1 /6 of the chicken nugget pieces, ¼ cup cheese, a little cumin and chili powder, and a spoonful of salsa down the center. Warm in the microwave for 15–30 seconds. If using, top with avocado.
- Place warmed tortilla with toppings on a flat surface. Using your finger, lightly moisten entire tortilla edge with water. Fold in sides, then roll upward from the bottom edge. Remoisten top edge if needed; roll over top edge to seal. Place, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat process with remaining tortillas and fillings. Place baking sheet with burritos in 200° oven to warm, 5–10 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.
PER SERVING (1 burrito): 319 cal, 10g fat (3g mono, 1g poly, 6g sat), 28mg chol, 671mg sodium, 39g carb (3g fiber, 3g sugars), 13g protein
SOURCE: This recipe from Amy Palanjian and photo by Jennifer Olson are posted by permission of Delicious Living (and its parent company New Hope Network), a trusted voice in the natural living community for 30 years.