Heart-friendly yams are tarted up with lime juice and shredded coconut in this festive side dish. Serve it with lamb or my Ostrich Meatballs (Age Beautifully Cookbook). It also goes well with turkey, pork, and meatloaf.
BENEFITS: Yams (and/or sweet potatoes) contain carotenoids and fiber. Carotenoids inhibit cancer and tumor growth, reduce your risk of heart disease, and support immune function. Fiber lowers blood cholesterol and, like carotenoids, reduces your risk of heart disease.
2 cups cubed yams or sweet potatoes, peeled
1 Tbs. coconut oil
½ tsp. salt or salt substitute
1 Tbs. fresh lime juice (and/or thin slices of key lime)
¼ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss the yams with the oil and salt, place in a single layer in a baking dish, and roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and toss with the lime juice and/or lime slices.
3. Roast for another 15 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and toss with the pecans and coconut.
5. Bake for about 5 more minutes or until the coconut is toasted and the yams are soft.