It’s hard to beat the combination of eggs, celery, and turmeric for brain health. You can spread this egg salad on toast, eat it in a sandwich, or serve it on a bed of mixed greens. It’s delicious with sliced tomatoes or thinly sliced scallions. For extra antioxidant power, add a few teaspoons of minced parsley or watercress. I prefer the taste of free-range hens (adult female chickens) whose yolks get their bright yellow color from the marigolds and grubs they graze on.
6 eggs (organic, free-range, or Omega-3-enriched)
½ cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs. capers
¼ cup diced celery
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. minced dill
1 tsp. minced chives
Salt or salt substitute and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place the eggs in a pan of cold water. Slowly bring the water to a boil over medium heat. Cover the pan, remove from the heat, and let the eggs sit for 7 minutes.
2. Drain the eggs and cool them in a bowl of water with ice.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, herbs, and spices.
4. Shell the eggs, then mash them with a fork or cut them into small cubes.
5. Fold the eggs into the seasoned mayonnaise.
Chef’s Note: To make shelling the eggs easier, add a splash of vinegar to the cooking water. If you’re serving this dish as a salad, refrigerate it first for a minimum of 2 hours.