Vegetarian Stir-Fry Noodles with Annatto
These colorful noodles, which are made with my Annatto Oil and Annatto Water, are as delicious as they are healthful. They can be served as a main course, appetizer, or side dish. I use cornstarch noodles, but you can use glass or rice noodles. You can substitute other varieties of mushroom, and almost any cabbage will work–Napa, savoy, bok choy, green, or even red. You can use store-bought vegetable broth instead of homemade. This is a gluten-free dish, so I use tamari sauce instead of soy sauce. Bragg Liquid Aminos provides even more flavor. BENEFITS: Annatto contains vitamin E for beautiful hair, skin, and nails. Shiitake and wood ear mushrooms are good sources of selenium, which lowers cancer risk and boosts immune function. Shiitakes also contain lentinan, which has anticancer properties. Cabbage is a cancer-fighter thanks to its indoles (sulfur compounds), which also make keratin in nails, hair, and skin.
1/2 cup julienned white onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 cup julienned shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup julienned wood ear mushrooms
4 cups Homemade Vegetable Stock
1/4 cup Annatto Water
1 cup julienned cabbage
1/4 cup julienned carrots
2 Tbs. low-sodium tamari sauce
1 Tbs. Bragg Liquid Aminos (optional)
Salt or salt substitute and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 package (8 oz.) cornstarch noodles
Lemon wedges as garnish
1. In a large pan, saute the onion and garlic in the Annatto Oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms, Homemade Vegetable Stock, and Annatto Water and bring to a boil.
3. Add the cabbage, carrots, sauces, and spices and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
4. Add the noodles and simmer another 3-5 minutes or until they are transparent.
5. Remove from the heat, toss thoroughly, and garnish with the lemon wedges.
Yield: ½ cup
½ cup annatto or achiote seeds (whole, not ground)
½ cup olive oil
- Heat the seeds and oil in a pan over low heat for about 5-7 minutes or until the oil turns bright reddish-orange. The seeds will sizzle and turn dark, but do not let them turn black and burn.
- Strain to remove seeds.
Chef’s note: You can store Annatto Oil in the refrigerator for up to a month and Annatto Water for up to a week.