Baobab Butter Squares
These squares are like lemon bars but made with antioxidant-rich baobab. Baobab is an African fruit that has a powdery texture. You can buy it from Amazon or you can use fresh lemon juice (3 Tbs.) or lemon zest (1 Tbs.) instead of the baobab powder. Feel free to substitute gluten-free flour for the wheat-based flour.
BENEFITS: Baobab is a good source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that appears to guard against heart disease and stroke and also protects the skin from the aging effects of ultraviolet rays. It contains fiber, which helps with detoxification and gut health.
Yields 12 squares
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar or xylitol
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs (organic, free-range, or Omega-3-enriched)
3/4 cup sugar or xylitol
4 Tbsp. baobab powder
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. baking powder
2-4 Tbs. powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Make the crust: In a stand mixer, combine the crust ingredients and mix on low speed until well blended. Spread evenly in an 8×8-inch baking pan. Press down evenly in the center with your fingers, but let the edges rise up along the sides of the pan just a bit, almost like a tart shell.
3. Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top. The crust won’t be completely done.
4. Make the filling: In a large glass mixing bowl, whisk the filling ingredients. Don’t whip or overbeat.
5. Pour the filling over the partially baked crust. Return to the oven for another 20 minutes or until the filling is set (when you shake the pan, the filling should jiggle and hold, not run like water).
6. All to cool for at least 20 minutes.
7. Garnish with the powdered sugar. Cut into squares and serve.
Reduce inflammatory process in cells, tissues, and blood vessels, helping to slow aging and reduce risk of long-term disease.
Prevents and repairs oxidative damage to cells caused by free radicals.
Support the body’s resistance to infection and strengthen immune vigilance and response.
Improves mood, memory, and focus.
Reduces risk factors for common degenerative and age-related diseases.