When I was in China recently, I discovered a well-kept beauty secret of the elite – Jade Rollers.
Jade rollers as beauty aids have been around since the 7th Century in China, but they are relatively new to the U.S. market. If you’ve stayed up too late, had a little too much to drink, or just had a stressful week, that can take a toll on your face. After long flights and time differences, I found myself struggling to get back on California time, and my face was puffy from losing sleep. When I tried my new jade roller, it did much more than I thought it would. It took down the puffiness and help reduce the circles under my eyes.
What do can these jade jewels do for us?
- Detoxifying — Rolling and massaging skin with a jade roller increases circulation and helps the lymphatic system to carry away toxins. That helps with cell renewal, too. Increasing blood flow brings more oxygen to the surface, which helps improve skin tone, making skin brighter, clearer, and glowing.
- Improve Chi — With the flow of fresh blood, the jade roller helps bring chi to your face. Chi is life force energy and it prevents stagnation (which makes the complexion sallow). The rollers are also cooling and the summer, and can be warming in the winter if you soak the stones in warm water. You need to remove the stones from the roller before soaking, but by warming or cooling, jade can help balance skin.
- Anti-Aging – Jade rollers help keep skin in the healthiest condition possible and:
- Reduce puffiness
- Reduce dark circles under eyes
- Decrease lines
- Tighten the skin
- Create better muscle tone
- Reduce pore size
- Reduce redness and irritation
How To Use a Jade Roller
Just a few minutes of massage can make a difference, and it’s easy to do.
- Just roll it upwards and outwards on the face and neck, as if lifting and ironing out wrinkles.
- Start at the center of the neck, then move outwardsand upward along the planes of the face before finishing at the hairline. Like exercise tones your body, jade rollers tone your face.
- Use the smaller stone on the roller for delicate areas around the eyes. Gently roll from inner eye to outer edge. For even more eye help, roll the area after applying your favorite eye cream.
- You can massage skin with the roller after applying a serum or moisturizer to increase penetration.
- For extra healing, relaxation and inflammation reduction, place the roller in the refrigerator or on ice. The stone is naturally cold, but this extra temperature drop will aid in your efforts to increase circulation, drain congested lymph nodes, rid the body of toxins/waste, stimulate collagen production, help with sinus issues and balance chi.
.Jade rollers can be used daily or weekly, and prices range from about $25 to $90, which is a lot more than I paid in Beijing (about $5). You can find them on Amazon and other online stores.