Whitefish with Turmeric
This is another of my cross-cultural wonders. It’s like a veal scaloppini, but substituting fish for meat and marinating it in turmeric juice makes this dish much more healthful. The Omega-3s in the fish are great for skin hydration and elasticity, and turmeric is known the world over for its amazing anti-inflammatory benefits. Tilapia fillets work best because they’re so thin and cook quickly, but you can use other thin whitefish fillets if you prefer. Serve these fillets over my Whole-Wheat Garlic Noodles.
2 Tbs. mirin (seasoned rice wine)
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
2 lb. tilapia fillets
3-4 beaten medium eggs
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2-3 Tbs. olive oil
1. To make the marinade, combine the turmeric juice, mirin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Marinate the fillets in a covered dish in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. Drain fillets from marinade and set aside. Add the reserved marinade to the eggs. Stir to combine.
4. Dredge the fillets in the flour, then dip in the egg mixture.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add fillets and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side.